We always hear how to build our careers but how often are we warned about what can sabotage them?
Andrew Kordek’s blog helped me discover a great article from Global Knowledge called 10 Career-killers To Avoid. The article states it is for an IT perspective but I think it applies to Project Managers and all other careers as well.
I believe all ten points are right on the money, but I will comment on the five I find most relevant for PM’s.
- Forgetting to give credit to others: Providing positive feedback to a project team member’s manager will go a long way for both of you.
- Believing that you are irreplaceable: See my Value Meal post for my thoughts on this.
- Confusing efficiency with effectiveness: Understanding how to manage the Triple Constraint can help balance time and quality.
- Failing to deliver results: Deliverables are the name of the game for PMs!
- Not keeping your skills current: As knowledge workers, continued learning and growth is essential.
There are so many great authors and mentors around us to provide wisdom to develop our careers. I hope this article is helpful to you.
One response to “Career Sabotage”
thanks for the reference to my blog. keep up the great work.